When it comes to web design your choices are endless. Web design companies come in all shapes and sizes. Choosing the right web design company can sometimes be a difficult task. How do you know if you have the right web designer for your business or organization? This can be a tough question. You don’t want to shop around to get this done - you have a business to run. But what if you have already settled on a designer… How do you know if you have made the right choice?
- You can’t get a hold of them. This should send you running. If you ever have to chase your web designer - RUN. Your website is a big deal and it should feel that way. Your web designer should be in constant contact with you. They should be asking you questions along the way, showing you progress, meeting and clarifying things. A good web designer keeps you in the loop the entire way. If you have to chase them - it may be time to move on.
- They are more worried about creativity than content. A good website will have a creative look and feel - and it will have features - but it should only have enough features to meet your needs. People visiting your site are for more concerned with being able to find information and get what they need. A website that opens with animations popping all over the place looks cheap. A good designer will be able to sit with you, lay out all of your information and organize it in a modern looking, creative, easy to navigate format.
- They don’t ask questions or seek your input. A professional web designer will guide you through the process. They will offer their professional opinion based on their experience of how your website needs to function - but they will also ask for input, lots of input. This is your site and you need to be a part. Getting a website built is a collaboration. You need to listen to their advice and opinions, but you should not be cut out of the process. Not only should they ask you input - they should demand it. Yes they are the website expert, but you are the expert on your company or organization.
- There is no tangible progress. I’m not saying your website is going to be done in a day, a week or even a month, but you should at least be seeing some real, measurable progress. If it’s been several weeks and you have not heard anything from your web designer, there’s a problem. Web design is a process. You should see some sort of traction on your project at least once a week. You should see something from them regularly. If you’re not seeing that progress, you’ve either chosen a company who just can’t deliver or one who refuses to prioritize your project. Either way, you’re getting the wrong end of the deal.
- Your web designer is a relative - or (worse) you. Never hire someone you can’t fire. Hiring a third party means they are objective and can keep your website a priority. And yes, you can build a website yourself with web design software - but you shouldn’t. There are many reasons for this, but the most important is this - even if you can build a professional looking site - will you really invest the time to keep it updated and current - with a designer you can often add these services to your contract. For more information see our previous post about that here.
Did You Choose the Wrong Design Company?
If you think you may have chosen the wrong web design company, don’t worry. It’s never too late to find a new one! Contact us today to schedule a free consultation, and learn how we can make your web design (or redesign) process an easy, affordable and successful one.